- Malaga – 55 minutes drive.
- Granada – 90 minutes drive.
Car hire: A car is advised.
Address: Cortijo La Calera, Buzon 28, Loma Leon, Benamargosa, 29718 Cutar, Malaga, Spain.
The Axarquia is a wedge shaped area east of Malaga, bounded by the Mediterranean to the south and the rugged Tejeda Mountains to the north. It has many atmospheric and historic cities and villages. The climate is sub-tropical and enjoys, on average, 300 sunny days a year and even in the winter months there are often clear blue skies. We have the most amazing sunrise and sunsets.
Peña de Hierro
Peña de Hierro: (Rock of Iron) is 200 metres from the rear of La Calera. A huge formation of limestone rock and site of archaeological importance. We have a resident Eagle Owl that has been here for more than 20 years. Walkers will enjoy the fantastic views from the top.
- Velez Malaga: Approx 20 minutes drive. Steeped in history, with a wonderful old quarter and a good selection of shops. Between Velez Malaga and Torre del Mar there is a large indoor shopping center and hypermarket.
Nearest villages :
- Los Romanes: Approx 4km. Los Romanes comes with a stunning mountain backdrop, which can be admired from the excellent local restaurant, Venta Charco. Small shop for most provisions. Olive Oil producer and the Kiosk for drinks.
- Lake Viñuela: 5 minutes drive. Good walks, picnic areas and fishing. Hotel and two large restaurants lakeside.
- Viñuela village: Approx 15 minutes drive has a small supermarket, a bank and a chemist.
- Comares: Approx 20 minutes drive. Perched on the top of Mount Santopitar. It still has the ruins of a Moorish fortress and was once a Roman military outpost; there are two turrets still in tact. There is a wonderful mirador with views over many of the villages and expansive landscape of La Axarquia. The village walks are super; you can enjoy a drink or meal in one of the bar/restaurants.
- Alcaucin: Approx 25 minutes drive. A chocolate box pretty village, with a picturesque spring fed fountain, which has been restored in the Moorish style. Prehistoric sites have been discovered locally, where the remains of Neanderthal man have been found.
- Cutar: Approx 30 minutes drive. A white village with many charming streets of traditional Muslim architecture. The village celebrates the “Fiesta del Monfi” remembering their Moorish origins.